ELM327 USB OBDII OBD2 EOBD CAN-BUS Code Scanner
Even if you don't repair your vehicle yourself, knowing the Diagnostic Trouble Code number before taking the vehicle in for repair is good knowledge to have. Once the vehicle is repaired, the Diagnostic Trouble Code(s) can be erased and the Check Engine light turned off using this scan tool.
In areas that require a smog test, an illuminated Check Engine light fails the emission test, even if the repaired vehicle might otherwise pass inspection. This OBD II Scan Tool turns off the Check Engine light.
Another highly useful application for the scan tool is purchasing used vehicles. Used vehicles can have all sorts of expensive mechanical or electrical problems. Remember, not all Diagnostic Trouble Codes illuminate the Check Engine light and a scan tool is the only way to obtain the information.
This tool supports all OBD II protocols:
- SAE J1850 PWM
- SAE J1850 VPW
- ISO 9141-2
- ISO 14230 (KWP2000)
What is CAN BUS?
Controller Area Network (or CAN) is the newest automotive communication protocol. CAN Protocol is around 50 times the speed of the older protocols. CAN was used in some cars starting in 2003, and is said to be the only protocol that will be used after 2007.
How do I know if my vehicle is OBDII compliant?
- 1996 or newer model year vehicle sold in the USA and Canada
- 2001 or newer model year gasoline vehicle sold in the European Union
- 2004 or newer model year diesel vehicle sold in the European Union
- Or, look at a lable under the hood, that explicitly states that the vehicle was designed to comply with OBD-II legislation:
The USB ELM327 is the newly developed scan tool. It supports all OBD-II protocols
Supported Features Include:
- Data graphing and logging
- Freeze Frame data
- Continuous and Non-Continuous Oxygen Sensor test results
- Works with all OBD-II compliant vehicles
- USB 2.0 Hight Speed
- Software included for Palm, PDA
- Software included for Windows PC
- Software included for Windows Smartphone
- Supports ISO 9141, KWP2000
- Supports SAE J1850
- Supports CAN bus
- Read diagnostic trouble codes, both generic and manufacturer-specific, and display their meaning (over 3000 generic code definitions in the database).
- Clear trouble codes and turn off the MIL ("Check Engine" light)
- Display current sensor data, including:
- Engine RPM
- Calculated Load Value
- Coolant Temperature
- Fuel System Status
- Vehicle Speed
- Short Term Fuel Trim
- Long Term Fuel Trim
- Intake Manifold Pressure
- Timing Advance
- Intake Air Temperature
- Air Flow Rate
- Absolute Throttle Position
- Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims
- Fuel System status
- Fuel Pressure
- Many others...
This tool comes with some software, but many other software titles can be downloade for free. Some include:
- GM Mode 22 Scan Tool by Terry
- OBD Gauge for PalmOS and Pocket PC by Dana Peters
- OBD Logger by Jonathan Senkerik
- OBD-II ScanMaster by Wladimir Gurskij (ScanMaster 3.52 - local copy) obd2crazy.com
- OBD2 Scantool by Ivan Andrewjeski
- OBDII for ELM322 by David Huffman
- pyOBD by Donour Sizemore for MacOSX and Linux
- RDDTC by Pete Calinski
- Real Scan by Brent HarrisScanTest for Pocket PC by Ivan Ganev aka a-ser
- wOBD by WDT
- ....many others!
Compatible vehicles include:
- Ford, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Acura, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Daewoo, Dodge, Fiat, GMC, Honda, Hyundai, Infinity, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mercury, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Peugeot, Pontiac, Porsche, Renault, Saab, Saturn, Seat, Skoda, Smart, Suzuki, Toyota, Volkswagen, Audi, Volvo, and many others.
- (Note: may not be compatible with some VW, Audi, and Subaru vehicles)
- Install supplied or other software on computer
- Turn the vehicle ignition off
- Locate the 16-pin Data Link Connector and plug the cable into the connector
- Turn the ignition on (needn't start the engine)
- The scanner will now search for the specific protocol for your vehicle
- Follow On-Screen Prompts and Menus!
|Warranty||1 year limited replacement warranty|